Sunday, November 7, 2010

Final Service Learning Project

For my project on Veterans, I went on the website VFW.org.  I noticed that the top stories on the webpage were about Veteran's Day and how most Americans have forgotten the significance of this day.  I figured this would be a perfect place to start for my Service Learning Project.
As I grew up, I feared that the importance of this Veteran's Day was diminishing.  I know from personal experience that some children never understood the importance until they were older, and some not at all.  One article states, "To help counter this trend, VFW has long promoted Veterans Day as an opportunity to educate the public as to the meaning of this significant time each November."  I decided to use this upcoming week to inform the 48 children in my after-school about Veteran's Day.  I decided to do this because unless I take initiative and explain the importance of this holiday, who will?  Most children know that Veteran's Day is a day off from school, but there is so much more.  It is not the child's fault if they do not understand the severity, it is our job to teach them. 
I will post pictures and a blog about how everything went later this week.
Here is the story I got my idea from, http://vfw.org/News-and-Events/Articles/Restoring-Veterans-Day/

No comments:

Post a Comment